New Strategic Plan Released In Anticipation of the Lawyers’ Committee’s 50th Anniversary
Plan Focuses on Deepening and Expanding Advocacy Work in 2018-2021
At the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Economic Justice, our work is life-changing and
law-changing. Every day, we bring people together to promote equal opportunity and fight
Over the past year, our staff has grown by 33% and we have significantly expanded our
litigation docket while working closely with our law firm partners and colleagues. Our legal
warriors are filing more cutting-edge cases, building our network of community partners, and
helping even more small businesses in minority and low-income communities. We are
addressing 21st century civil rights challenges:
- Fighting in court against the Trump Administration on behalf of sanctuary communities
(Chelsea and Lawrence);
- Protecting Asian-Americans and Latinos from voter disenfranchisement in Lowell;
- Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline by representing students of color facing unfair discipline in school;
- Protecting children and families from immigration raids and the lawless Bristol County Sheriff;
- Fighting hate in our region through individual representations, community education, and advocacy with local law enforcement;
- Providing free legal support to hundreds of small business owners in low-income communities; and launching innovative programs like FoodBiz101, our accelerator for small businesses in the food industry, and BizGrow, an event where we provided 150 small businesses with free legal support.
- Lawyers’ Committee’s Board Members;
- Community Partners (focus groups with organizations serving minority and immigrant communities);
- State and Local Bar Associations, including Affinity Bar Associations; and
- Law Firm Pro Bono Directors.
The result of this comprehensive process is a dynamic vision for driving the organization
forward as we approach our 50th Anniversary in 2018. We are excited to share this vision with
you. Here’s to moving forward – without fail and without fear.
The strategic plan is available here.Lawyers' Committee's 50th Anniversary Strategic Plan